Janice Giles is one of the creatives I have met since moving down to Tauranga. I’ve seen her work in local galleries, I’ve listened to her speaking poetry and I’ve stood on a stage at The Incubator sharing my words with her and the world. Janice is multi-talented and an acknowledged visual arts creative. She has another exhibition “Vuja de” of her printmaking, coming up at Imprint Gallery at the Historic Village, Downtown Tauranga.
(To experience something familiar in a different way’)
New works, mostly monoprints.
Commences Sunday, 3rd October at Imprint.
1. Who are you? Janice Giles
2. What is your field of creative endeavou? My current passion is print-making.
3. Where is your studio/where are you based? Brookfield, Tauranga.
4. What do you want the community to know? Vuja de (meaning: to experience the familiar in different ways) is the name of my next exhibition which will be on ‘The Wall’ space at Imprint Gallery at The Historic Village, Tauranga from Sunday 3rd October to Wednesday, November 3rd. Works can be ‘cash and carry’ as I can replace them with other new works. Most of the works are monoprints or incorporate print techniques in various styles There are both framed and unframed hand-pulled prints available.
5. Where can more information about this be found? Imprint Gallery, Historic Village, 17th Avenue, Tauranga. https://www.facebook.com/galleryimprint/
6. My creative background. I have been an artist or worked in creative fields for most of my life (a rather long time). I am mostly self-taught and always keen to learn and this applies to my art practice too. Consequently, I experiment a lot and am excited by new ways to express ideas through visual imagery. I have worked in many mediums, with diverse subject material, and in both figurative and abstract styles.
7. My creative achievements. I am fortunate to have won the Tauranga Society of Artists Supreme award, and been a runner up in that award. I have also been a finalist in the Rotorua Museum awards; the Molly Morpeth Canaday national awards; and the Vanetta Miles awards at Tauranga Art Gallery. I’ve had numerous solo shows, participated in many group shows, and taught others.
8. My future creative plans. To keep creating and discovering new ways of working. I am currently enjoying the print-making experience and the refreshing ways these processes can be used.
9. If I could go any where it would be to? Galleries. I love to look at art.
(meaning: to experience the familiar in different ways)
the print art of Janice Giles
showing on ‘The Wall’ space at Imprint Gallery at The Historic Village, Tauranga
from Sunday 3rd October to Wednesday, November 3rd 2021
Most of the works are monoprints or incorporate print techniques in various styles
There are both framed and unframed hand-pulled prints available.
Works can be ‘cash and carry’ as I can replace them with other new works.
Text responses to ARTbop’s Q&A and poster image supplied by Janice Giles. Other images ARTbop.
Recently published on ARTbop : https://www.artbop.co.nz/lockdown-blues-how-do-we-treat-the-children-we-put-into-quarantine/
IF YOU ENJOY CREATIVITY, BOUTIQUE SHOPPING, VINTAGE, RECYCLE, HOME DECOR, FAIRS & MARKETS, CAKE & JUST HAVING A LOOK YOU’LL ENJOY
WANTING TO SEE MORE OF NEW ZEALAND & THE BAY OF PLENTY?
WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD TODAY AND WHOEVER YOU ARE BE SAFE
AROHANUI KIA KAHA
“AND WEAR YOUR FREAKIN MASK AND WASH YOUR FREAKIN HANDS”